Why Purchase Order Plus?
Why Purchase Order Plus? After struggling to find a Xero add-on that can control, delegate, and report on purchase orders, I decided to build one – Purchase Order Plus.
As a busy finance manager, I needed greater visibility and control over the business expenditure. I wanted no surprises when the invoices came in and were loaded at the start of the month. I’m responsible for the finance team in an organisation with 15 people with a delegated authority to purchase on behalf of the business across 7 different profit centres. We were using a paper based purchase order system that was slow, cumbersome, and prone to errors.
“As a busy finance manager, I needed greater visibility and control over the business expenditure.”
I needed a digital purchase order system, one that was electronic, and could be accessed on a mobile device. The purchasing in the business is delegated to multiple staff members. Each has their own budget to control, and we all needed greater visibility of business expenditure. The paper based system we were using created more admin from staff having to write, scan then file paper purchase orders.
The search begins
We run our business on Xero. For those who don’t know, Xero is accounting software that’s in the cloud, accessed through a web browser. Its cost effective, easy to use, and has a marketplace full of “add-on” that provide additional functionality, such as payroll, inventory tracking, reporting the list goes on. Unfortunately, Xero does not have the functionality to delegate purchase order creation to users on a mobile device.
“Unfortunately, Xero does not have the functionality to delegate purchase order creation to users on a mobile device.”
I investigated several add-ons that would manage the purchase order system. Each had its strengths, weaknesses and limitations. None of the solutions could achieve what the business required.
The Lightbulb Moment
With nothing on the market that suited the requirements, I decided to research building a Xero add on for Purchase Orders. I had no idea what it would take or if it was feasible. I talked to a number of tech founders at a conference I attended. This reinforced my thinking that Purchase Order Plus needed to be built. The more I looked into this, the more I came to the comclusion that we were not the only company that needed this software, and other business were facing the same challenges.
That’s where Purchase Order Plus was born. I wanted to create an electronic Purchase Order system that integrated with Xero. The staff needed to create a purchase order on their mobile devices quickly and easily. This would enable real time reporting of what staff were spending using functional dashboards.
“That’s where Purchase Order Plus was born.”
The advantage of having an online system that integrates with Xero are:
- Staff members can complete and manage purchase orders without needing to have access to the accounting platform
- Data such as suppliers and customers are integrated between the purchase order system and the accounting system reducing duplicate work
- “Items” (pre-set good or services purchased) from Xero can be imported
- Xero tracking categories such as cost centers can be used
- Actual expenditure can be compared with budget
- Full purchase order history is retained & can be searched and analysed for audit purposes.
- Reports can be run on purchase order data, such as who is requesting purchase orders, the amount requested and for what items
- Purchase orders can be matched to more than one invoice while orders are filled
- Outstanding commitments are known at any time in the form of unfilled purchase orders
- Delegate purchase order creation to staff and keep purchasing within budgets.
- Purchase orders are attached to invoices as a separate document ensuring a thorough audit trail of the transaction
The software is currently in the development phase and is expected to launch towards the end of this year. You can send through your feedback on the software. Send a message and let us know what you think by contacting us.
Founder – Purchase Order Plus